VISA® Debit Card/Apple Pay™
Keep your balance only a swipe away with the increased purchasing power of a debit card. Easily make purchases online or in-store, virtually anywhere around the globe.
The very same card can be used to make ATM withdrawals just as easily. Keep money nearby at all times without having to carry it physically on you. Sign up for pocket-sized utility today.
- Features EMV chip technology
- Direct, anytime access to your account balance
- Make purchases online or in-store virtually around the globe
- No service charges or interest owed
- View an automatic, up-to-date record of transactions
- Easily withdraw funds from ATMs
- Safer than carrying cash and more universally accepted than checks
- Easily replaced if lost or stolen
Lost or Stolen Card
Please contact the following in the case of a lost or stolen card:
During business hours:
Cooperstown Branch: 607-547-2210
Oneonta Branch: 607-432-7000
After business hours: 1-800-472-3272
VISA® EMV Debit Cards
New EMV-technology, Highly Secure VISA® Debit Cards
Little Chip. Big Benefits.
Your new VISA® debit card features EMV chip technology. This has become the global standard for card-based payments because of its enhanced security. Chip-based cards are already the standard in Europe and now this technology is being rolled out in the U.S.
Instead of having a magnetic strip like your current card, a microchip is integrated right into the card that stores and protects your data. The name EMV comes from the original developers of the content overseas: Europay, MasterCard® and VISA®.
Benefits of new, EMV-compliant cards
EMV-enabled cards help prevent debit (and credit) card fraud from lost, stolen, and counterfeit cards. They better protect your payment and personal information. Data is more secure on a chip card than on the older magnetic-stripe cards. Without getting too technical, chip cards support dynamic authentication, so data cannot be copied with a simple card-reading device.
More about security and protection
To dig deeper and explain further, EMV technology adds security in three critical areas:
1. Authentication of your card – guards against use of counterfeit cards
- Your card is authenticated during the transaction
- Card is validated online by the issuer (VISA®, MasterCard®, etc.) or offline within the terminal using a dynamic cryptogram
- Every transaction creates unique transaction data, so all captured data cannot be used again for another transaction – one more layer of protection
2. Verification of your card – protects against stolen and lost cards
- Verification assures that the person making the transaction is the true holder of the card
- EMV uses one of four types of verification to assure your identity, primarily based on the amount of the transaction
3. Authorization of each transaction – using issuer-defined rules
- Transactions are authorized offline or online
- In offline mode, the card and terminal communicate to determine is the transaction is valid
- Offline mode is used when there is no Internet connectivity available at the terminal – for example at an outdoor market
- Online mode sends the transaction information to the card issuer, where the transaction is either approved or declined
How to use your new card(s)
The payment process at a store will be slightly different with your new card(s). Not every new reader will look the same, but they will be similar. Instead of swiping your card, you'll put it into the front of the card reader with the chip facing up. You'll leave it in the reader and follow the on-screen instructions until your transaction is completed. Then you can remove the card. You may have to sign a receipt or sign on the terminal. Your new card will also have a magnetic stripe on it for use on older terminals in the interim.
Merchants have already started using these terminals, and they will also be adopting them in more frequently in the coming months. The combination of EMV-enabled cards and new EMV-type terminals will combine to create the best security for you and retailers.
Stop trying to juggle checkbooks, groceries, and kids in the checkout line -- instead, pay with a single touch and leave your VISA® debit card safe at home. Apple Pay™ lets you make purchases without even taking out your wallet.
Just hold your iPhone® or Apple Watch® near the card reader, hold your finger to the Touch ID sensor, and wait until you feel a short vibration that lets you know your secure, private payment has been processed. Best part? You'll still receive the same rewards you would if you used your card.
- Pay in seconds with a single touch
- Use Apple Pay on your iPhone (6 or newer)
- Use Apple Watch (paired with iPhone 5 or later)
- Store all of your cards in one place
- Easily find the right card
- Keep your identity, card number, PIN, and purchases private
- Protect your account instantly if you phone is lost or stolen
- VISA® debit card purchases through Apple Pay™ still count toward rewards
- If your VISA® debit card is already connected to your iTunes® account, just open your Wallet App and enter your security code located on the back of your card.
- To add a new card, simply press the "+" above the photo of your existing card and enter its information.
- For more information on Apple Pay, visit http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/(Opens in a new Window) or visit one of our locations.
- Your card information is not stored on your mobile device or on Apple's server. As your card number and security code are not used in any financial transaction, the information is not available for hackers to access.
- Apple Pay uses a 16-digit token in place of your debit or credit card number, that is specific to your device, along with a dynamic security code unique to each transaction. Instead of using a PIN or signature to authorize the transaction, Apple Pay uses Touch ID (your fingerprint on the iPhone 6 home button). If your card is ever lost or stolen, your Touch ID can be reassigned to a new card.
- If your mobile device is ever lost or stolen, you can use the "Find My iPhone" feature to quickly set your device in "Lost Mode," disabling purchasing ability and the ability to get into the phone without a PIN entry. You can also wipe all information from your iPhone.
- For more information on security, visit http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/(Opens in a new Window), visit one of our locations, or contact us.
- Double tap the home key of your iPhone, if it's locked, and select which card you'd like to use.
- Hold your phone up to the reader and place your finger on the Home button to activate the Touch ID.
- Or, you may need to enter a passcode and sign a receipt.
- Keep your phone by the reader until it vibrates and beeps, indicating your payment was accepted.
- To learn more about Apple Pay, visit www.apple.com/apple-pay/(Opens in a new Window).
1. What is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay allows you to pay for your purchases with your iPhone 6 or newer, or Apple Watch by holding your phone or watch near a contactless reader.
2. What do I need to get started with Apple Pay?
• iPhone 6 or newer, or Apple Watch to pay in stores and within apps
• iOS 8.1 or later on your device
• Touch ID or passcode on your device
• iCloud® account
3. How do I change my default card to my VISA® debit card?
The credit or debit card associated with your iTunes® account or the first card you add to Wallet is your default card. To change your default card:
1. Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
2. Tap default card.
3. Choose your VISA debit card.
4. Are my payments safe with Apple Pay?
Yes. When you use Apple Pay, your card number isn't stored on your phone or given to the merchant. A unique digital code is created specifically for that device. You still enjoy all the benefits of your VISA debit card.
5. How are my privacy and personal information protected?
Since Apple Pay doesn't store your card number on the device, you never reveal your name, card number, or security code to merchants.
6. Am I able to opt out of Apple Pay at any time?
Adding your cards to Apple Pay is your choice; you can add and remove cards whenever you like.
7. Where can I use Apple Pay?
You can use Apple Pay at more than 220,000 locations, including McDonald's®, Macy's®, Nike®, and Staples®.
8. Is Apple Pay free?
Yes, but be aware that message and data rates may apply, depending on your data plan.
Still have questions? For more information visit http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/(Opens in a new Window), visit one of our locations, or contact us.